Sunday, March 15, 2009

What is your Legacy?

"What is your Legacy?" This question is meant to get you thinking about living for a higher purpose than just the "day to day"...I would like to dedicate this post and the cafe to 2 wonderful men who have influenced Suzette and I in the most important way: they loved us unconditionally. Red Ginger Cafe is their legacy.

My Dad is Jim and Suzette's is Walter, they both worked hard their whole lives for their families. They instilled a good work ethic in both of us and taught us to take what life sent our way with grace and dignity. They set good examples for their children and their communities and lived "pono". They were active in our lives, always volunteering within our extra-curricular activities. Our Dads also had another thing in common, both knew how to have a good time and could be counted on the "bring the party" if you know what I mean. Both Dads passed away recently of Cancer, my new mantra is "Cancer sucks". Suzette and I still carry the best parts of them in our hearts.

My Dad grew up in Papakolea and in the valleys surrounding the homestead there is an abundance of Red Ginger flowers. Maybe this was why he always grew it in our yard and put it in vases in around house. I never understood why he would adore such a "common flower", I used to tease him that Red Ginger was a weed not a flower. He would always smile, a knowing smile, you know the one father's give us when they know a secret and we have not proven ourselves worthy to be let in on it. Well I think the lesson to be learned is that there is beauty in the most common everyday things. He wasn't fascinated by the rarer more delicate pua that we covet at the lei stores, instead he saw the beauty in the large, waxy, red torch ginger in everyone's backyard. How wonderful is that? To be able to STOP and enjoy the beauty of his own life, never having to search for more, knowing that the most beautiful part of his day was right in his backyard?

I'm going to have to end this now because its getting a little heavy for me, but you get my point. Be happy with your flaws, embrace your differences...Love those around you as if they may leave tomorrow. Always tell people how much you appreciate them and enjoy what the Akua have given you...one more day.

Ho`i Hou i ka Iwi Kuamo`o.

Aloha,
Red Ginger Cafe Manoa

1 comment: